White kitchen cabinets are perhaps the preferred color when most people think of remodeling their kitchen. Right off the bat, white is a distinguishing color and it gives a nice look to your kitchen.
The style of the kitchen cabinets also complements the white color and modifications in the door style can also make a difference in the way white cabinets look. There are several styles that go together with white kitchen cabinets: French, Country, Traditional, English, Contemporary and Shaker models. Additionally, materials used for kitchen cabinets include laminate, plastic, white painted wood, vinyl foil, high gloss lacquer, white washed finish and white stain. These can be used together with your white kitchen cabinet to make a design statement and to suit your personality and style.
Advantages of using white kitchen cabinets
- Using white kitchen cabinets makes choosing accessories and countertops very easy, since most accessories also come in white.
- It is also easy to accent the color theme in the kitchen and surrounding areas with white kitchen cabinets.
- The use of white kitchen cabinets is striking since it creates a timeless style that can stay in vogue for many years. While most other styles and colors used in kitchen cabinetry may be obsolete, this is one color that is bound to stay for a long time.
- The overall feel is a very clean look that is also sleek and elegant – most people want their kitchens to look like this.
Styling with white kitchen cabinetry
1. If you’re looking for a contemporary style, you may want to add white gloss finish to your white kitchen cabinet. This gives it a sleek and modern appearance. On the other hand, using a style that has white painted wood, raised panel doors gives the impression of a more traditional kitchen. You can also create various moods and themes for your kitchen by altering the countertops and flooring to match your kitchen cabinetry.
2. A white kitchen cabinet with a traditional style can be created with wood flooring and this is a very popular style among homemakers. This gives the kitchen a very inviting feel to it and this warm design can be supplemented by other interior decorations – for example a white dining table in the kitchen, which is used for breakfast.
3. A black granite countertop adds contrast to the white kitchen cabinetry and makes a distinct statement of style. You can alter the mood of the kitchen by changing the texture of the countertop. The smoothness of the cabinets is utilized to contrast with the granite countertops. This is a look that is grand and works well together.
4. You might not have thought of this, but the color of appliances you buy are also quite important in terms of determining the feel of your kitchen. If you want a kitchen that looks very traditional, try matching white wood front panels on the front of your refrigerator and dishwasher. This will enhance the appearance of your kitchen and you can opt for black or stainless steel cooking tops, sinks, and ovens. Conversely, if you would like to create a contemporary kitchen, you would want to use appliances with colors that contrast each other, adding a dramatic feel to the kitchen.
Some people have the false notion that white kitchen cabinets require a lot of work to maintain because they are mostly found in showrooms. However, that is not true. With the kind of finishes and polishes available in the market along with synthetic wood finishes, white kitchen cabinets are just as easy to maintain as those in any other color.
White kitchen cabinets have been around for a long time – at least 20 years – and there is no sign that this style will become obsolete. In fact, you have so many options to choose from in terms of modifying your color themes in your kitchen from window treatments, countertop accessories and place mats that white kitchen cupboards are more likely to stay than disappear.
Where to buy white kitchen cabinets
The Internet is a great place to find manufacturers and supplier of white kitchen cabinets. For example, TheRTAStore.com is one of the sites offering white kitchen cabinets online (sponsored link). You should also check the Yellow Pages for cabinet makers and retailer who sell white cabinets. You can also contact wholesalers of such cabinets. The prices here are normally considerably lower than those you will find in retail outlets.
Compare quality, durability and price (including shipping charges).
16 thoughts on “White Kitchen Cabinets – Are They Going Out of Style?”
Have you seen the Hanssem “Neo” door? We introduced this door this year – it is a High Gloss White Lacquer Door – with both sides being High Gloss – it has a two-tone High Gloss White & Metallic Trim — a beautiful white, contemporary door, excellent quality at an affordable price.
Maybe you want to visit our website hanssemamerica.com or see this door in a complete kitchen display at our showroom Intelligent Kitchens in Manhattan.
With so many styles and finishes, you are sure to find kitchen cabinets that match your kitchen and fit just where you need it.
Pretty nice article about white kitchen cabinets. I just stumbled upon your kitchen blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case, I’ll be subscribing to your RSS feed and I hope you write again soon.
Do you think it’s better to purchase off-the-shelf white cabinets or to purchase wood cabinets and have them painted? Which will withstand wear and tear better over time?
I think both options are good. If you, however, decide to paint wooden cabinets, be sure to use primer before you apply the paint. This is a very important step. The primer helps the paint bond with the wood of your cabinets and makes for a long lasting finish.
Here is a link that might be useful:
Let me know if you have any other questions.
I just found your blog. We are renovating a 1970’s ranch and will be gutting the kitchen. It faces east and since we have 10 acres and TONS of trees we don’t get a lot of light… even in the morning. I am rethinking my idea of cherry cabinets with a dark oak floor and now am looking at white kitchens. Any thoughts on appliance colors? Counter color? Kitchen is small… very small… only room for about 10 running feet of cabinets in a U shape. One small kitchen window.
Thanks for any ideas?
I am sorry for the delay of my response.
Keeping in mind your small kitchen and the lack of enough sunlight, light tones and shiny surfaces (on the walls and furnishings) is what I recommend. This will visually widen the room and also make it lighter, because such surfaces reflect a lot of light.
White cabinets in combination with polished granite counters and stainless steel appliances is an idea. Cabinets of light maple is also a good idea. Stainless steel goes well with many other color combinations as well. Mirrored backsplashes or floors with a large pattern are also a good idea for small kitchens.
Take a look at some interior design magazines or on Internet to get ideas. Just keep in mind that you need light tones and shiny surfaces. Cherry cabinets (which will most probably darken after a certain period of time) with a dark oak floor is not a good idea in my opinion.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much. I have decided on white cabinets with appliances (budget, ya know!) and dark shiny countertops. Will stay with the dark floor as hubby loves it and it will match all the other flooring…
I am having wood cabinets built and I need to pick a shade of white for them. I don’t want too creamy of a white or a pink-white.
I am so stumped. My home was built in 1885 and I thought I would tie in the green milk glass look, bead board under the cabinets and around the bottom 1/2 of the kitchen. This will fit the era of the house. But I need to pick a good color white for the cabinet. I want to use Benjamin Moore paint. They will be professional painted. Any suggestions?
Who has advice and/or suggestions for Nancy that wants to pick a shade of white for her wood cabinets?
Looking for high gloss white kitchen cabinets with either a metal strip around the border or without — live in Chicago, want local or American company.
Who has advice and/or suggestions for Donna?
Hi Ganka, my wife bookmarked your kitchen blog for me and I have been going through it for the past couple of hours. Your information is really going to assist me for my project. By the way, I enjoy the way you write.
Thank you! This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out more about kitchen design & remodeling.
Thanks for sharing wonderful kitchen design and remodeling ideas. We too provide kitchen remodeling services within California. We also provide assembled kitchen cabinets direct to your door. Feel free to visit best seller kitchen cabinet: https://www.cabinetdiy.com/white-kitchen-cabinet-best-seller
Such an excellent blog on kitchen designing! It is very helpful for all of those who would like to upgrade their homes.